The moment this pattern came out, I knew I wanted to try it. I bought the pattern, but other things kept taking precedence. Finally, I found the perfect fabric, and inspiration!
I found this muralist jumpsuit in stripe by Madewell, and instantly a light bulb went off in my head.
Then I went over to Hancockfabrics.com and found my fabric, a linen cream and blue stripe, very similar to the fabric used in the muralist jumpsuit by Madewell. (Hancock Fabrics is going out of business, so unfortunately I am no longer able to link the fabric I used, but you might be able to find it in store and at a major discount). I’ve been seeing linen in blue stripes EVERYWHERE lately, and jumpsuits, and so I needed to make one for myself too.
I used the Roberts Collection pattern by Marilla Walker, and chose view B. This pattern is very loose fitting, and I noticed many people suggested sizing down for a closer fit. Unfortunately my size was the smallest one, so I ended up sewing it up as it was, and taking in the pants on both seams, side and inside, until I had a loose, but fitted look. I also cropped the hem of the pants to be similar to the Madewell jumpsuit.
I also added the belt (not included in the pattern), to match the Madewell jumpsuit. Using a tape measure I figured out how long I wanted my belt to be, and I cut it about 3″ wide. I added a slightly pointed edge to both ends, and sewed them RST, leaving a spot in the middle open so I could turn it out. Then I topstitched around the whole belt. So simple!
The shirt I’m wearing is also made by me, it’s a Inari Tee hack, with an added bell sleeve, and added length at the hem. I’ll be posting a tutorial about how I did it soon. I used a plum jersey knit.
Overall, I’m really pleased with how my dungarees turned out! I wasn’t sure if they would pull though, mostly because this style is a little out of my comfort zone. (I’m a skinny jeans girl through and through). The best part about my dungarees is how comfy they are! (It’s like wearing pajamas all day!). The pattern was easy to follow, and pretty quick to put together.
Okay and I have to say it. So the Madewell jumpsuit comes in at $128. The fabric I used was priced at 3 yards for $41.97, and the Roberts Pattern is $10.22 (I actually bought it on a sale too, so it was a few dollars of that), total coming to just under $50. It CAN be cheaper to make your own clothes!! 🙂
12 thoughts on “Roberts Collection by Marilla Walker”
I love how these turned out! And woo hoo…I agree, sometimes sewing can be cheaper! 🙂
Thanks Teresa!! 💕💕
I love the stripy fabric you’ve used! I’m definitely bumping this jumpsuit to the top of my sewing to do list after seeing yours!
Thank you! I was afraid it would be a little too railroad-ish, but I think it works! Can’t wait to see yours!
I’ve been eyeing some Madewell overall inspiration too! I want some denim ones with that same great slim leg cut. Love yours!
Denim would be 😍😍😍!!
You look great! And they look exactly like the inspiration look, and that’s not easy to achieve 🙂
Thank you!! I wasn’t sure if it was going to pull through! 💕
Nice outfit! It looks better than RTW to me!