Inari Tee Hack with Bell Sleeve

img_9889-1

img_9890-1

img_9891-1img_9892-1

When I started making my Roberts Collection by Marilla Walker jumpsuit, I really wanted to make a cute top to go with it. I’ve been inspired by bell sleeves lately, and I’ve seen a few shirts like this around in a few different places,so I’ve had it on my mind. (I’m learning I have a thing for sleeves!). I love how it gives the shirt a more dramatic yet feminine look.

I used a jersey knit fabric in plum that I had in my stash. I think this top would also be cool in a stripe ponte or maybe even a woven. I love this one I found at J.Crew recently.

To make my pattern, I used the Inari Tee pattern, with a few adjustments in a size 2/34. If you don’t already have this pattern, it’s totally worth getting. I made this really cool Inari Tee Dress a few posts back. There’s lots of possibilities with this pattern.

**Side note, I just want to put in a plug for working with knits. I don’t have a serger. (although, I do want one). Using a ballpoint needle and a zigzag stitch for seams, and a straight stitch for hemlines and neckline edges proves to work just as well for me. Don’t let not having a serger stop you from sewing knits.

Here’s how I did it:

First I added 6″ in length to the hemline of the crop tee pattern.

Second, I made a rectangular shaped pattern for the bell sleeve, mine measured 6 1/2″ long x 18-24″ wide. (pictured above is about 18″, I would go for 24″ next time for a fuller look).

To sew it all together, sew your bell sleeve piece along the side seam, RST. Iron, trim and finish seam allowance. Then, sew your gathering stitches along the top edge at 1/4″ and 1/2″. Pin bell sleeve to sleeve edge RST, matching edges and centers. Pull gathering threads, and evenly spread gathers. Sew at 1/2″, remove any gathering stitches that show on the right side, and trim + finish seam allowance. Hem sleeve. Done!

Follow the pattern directions for assembling the rest of the shirt. This is super easy, and the whole shirt came together pretty quick. Enjoy!

Sara

 

Roberts Collection by Marilla Walker

roberstcollectionjumsuitBERNINAweallsewblog

IMG_9817

IMG_9821

IMG_9818

IMG_9820

The moment this pattern came out, I knew I wanted to try it. I bought the pattern, but other things kept taking precedence. Finally, I found the perfect fabric, and inspiration!

I found this muralist jumpsuit in stripe by Madewell, and instantly a light bulb went off in my head.

madewell jumpsuit

Then I went over to Hancockfabrics.com and found my fabric, a linen cream and blue stripe, very similar to the fabric used in the muralist jumpsuit by Madewell. (Hancock Fabrics is going out of business, so unfortunately I am no longer able to link the fabric I used, but you might be able to find it in store and at a major discount). I’ve been seeing linen in blue stripes EVERYWHERE lately, and jumpsuits, and so I needed to make one for myself too.

I used the Roberts Collection pattern by Marilla Walker, and chose view B. This pattern is very loose fitting, and I noticed many people suggested sizing down for a closer fit. Unfortunately my size was the smallest one, so I ended up sewing it up as it was, and taking in the pants on both seams, side and inside, until I had a loose, but fitted look. I also cropped the hem of the pants to be similar to the Madewell jumpsuit.

I also added the belt (not included in the pattern), to match the Madewell jumpsuit. Using a tape measure I figured out how long I wanted my belt to be, and I cut it about 3″ wide. I added a slightly pointed edge to both ends, and sewed them RST, leaving a spot in the middle open so I could turn it out. Then I topstitched around the whole belt. So simple!

The shirt I’m wearing is also made by me, it’s a Inari Tee hack, with an added bell sleeve, and added length at the hem. I’ll be posting a tutorial about how I did it soon. I used a plum jersey knit.

Overall, I’m really pleased with how my dungarees turned out! I wasn’t sure if they would pull though, mostly because this style is a little out of my comfort zone. (I’m a skinny jeans girl through and through). The best part about my dungarees is how comfy they are! (It’s like wearing pajamas all day!). The pattern was easy to follow, and pretty quick to put together.

Okay and I have to say it. So the Madewell jumpsuit comes in at $128. The fabric I used was priced at 3 yards for $41.97, and the Roberts Pattern is $10.22 (I actually bought it on a sale too, so it was a few dollars of that), total coming to just under $50. It CAN be cheaper to make your own clothes!! 🙂